Thinking About Time with 5 year olds

One of the things I realized after reflecting and thinking back on a school year's worth of conversations with children about time, is that few of the conversations led to long inquiries (or projects, if you prefer). The difference between the children's conception of time and the adults seemed to be such a barrier at times. For myself, it got me thinking that time is really a construct that comes from the culture. I wanted to be able to free myself from that and see time the way the children did, but it was tough!
However, that doesn't mean the conversations themselves weren't really rich. Nancy, Robyn and I explored the idea of turns with the children in the Meadow room (the oldest preschool class). the illustration above was made by Brian while talking about time: I asked "do you have any stories about time?"

Comments