Packing up, saying goodbye

As we were begining to pack up the studio for the year (tomorrow is the last day of preschool), we were going through all of the drawings left in the workbasket and the paintings on the drying rack. Some children were helping by being mailmen and delivering pictures to the classrooms. Others were in the studio looking to see if they had left anything on the shelves.


Since they were laid out on the table for people to find, this was a good opportunity to see lots of children's drawings.


Nolan, looking over all of the pictures, many of them of people, said "I'm noticing that people don't draw a lot of noses." A group of children, Star Parent Jess and I looked too, and noticed he was right. There wasn't a single face with a nose on it in view! I asked Nolan if he would like to draw a picture of a face and leave it behind for the next group of preschoolers, sort of like a lesson in how to draw a face. 
This is what he drew...




I'm going to miss the older preschoolers. I'm glad many of them will be going on to Sabot kindergarten, so I will still get to spend time with them and hear their ideas and noticings, which so often fill me with wonder and awe.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

  1. I love the nose that Nolan drew, and his curlicue label is impressive, especially the upside-down fancy letters. Is that a shirt pocket on the person's torso?

    Laurie and I noticed that the children in the Meadow Room were holding themselves together remarkably well today, given that it was the second-to-last day of school and the normal rhythm of the day was interrupted by art gathering, a drill, the 2nd grade play, and other atypical things. I wonder if the future kindergarteners were more calm than usual because many of them know that they will be back next fall, in the same building, with many of the same classmates and teachers? I know the continuity is helpful to *me* and I'm not even a student!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please do comment!