Children as scientists

Children in the Rainbow Room (4) have been talking about bones and bodies ever since Classmate X. broke his foot. They have come to the studio a couple of times with their teacher Cris. In talking to them, we are trying to figure out how to support them, and to do that, we need to find out what their intention is in this exploration. Our hypothesis right now is that the children are forming understandings about systems within our bodies.
"A broken foot. This part (on the side with the toes) is the broken part. That is the part that hurts. The other part is o.k."
On this day, I reminded the children that in our last conversation (about veins), they told me that veins are connected to our hearts, and that we looked for where we could see our own veins. 

Gabriella said "You have to wear socks to keep your veins warm. My Daddy told me if you don't wear socks, your veins will disappear."
Then R. said "If you swallow a seed, a plant will grown inside your body." Can we draw that? I said. 
drawing a girl with a flower growing in her belly
thinking about it

"If you have a flower growing in your belly, then when you sneeze, it will come out of your nose"
 
next up; where does love come from?

Comments

  1. I love your blog. I have followed along as I am inspired by the Reggio approach. I just nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award. Take a look at the announcement on my blog Http://thefineartsstudio.blogspot.com/ I just heard about it myself!
    Keep up the great work, and thank you for sharing what you do.
    ~Samantha

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please do comment!