'An Alone Parade'; More Thoughts About Online School


From a provocation to use loose parts to make a collage


From Juno's Mama "Juno built a castle themed parade float out of items in our junk drawer. She calls it the "Kidzy Tutu!"

Me 'I would like to see a parade right now!'

"Anna, Juno says "Okay! That's fine! It can be an alone parade if you want."


During online faculty meetings last week I heard that online circles, story time and dance parties are very popular with families, garnering tons of participation. I wonder what it is about these that are so popular? I imagine connecting, seeing faces of classmates and hearing voices is a big part of it. As a resource teacher I don't have the same access to a class group as the teachers do. 
Thinking about myself participating that way I think 'how can I do something like that that isn't me demonstrating, making an example or doing a step-by-step project?' My fellow atelieristas are having an equally hard time figuring this out. Our whole mission is to avoid  traditional art teaching and make room for listening and materials exploration. So, what now? 
Each time I try to make a video it turns into something I don't want to do. I'm grateful that the open ended provocations I've been sending are getting participation from a couple of families and some preschool teachers, but I wish I could be more helpful. Obviously they aren't hitting the right note. Should I do Mo Willems drawing workshops? I really, really don't want to do that, and besides there are a thousand things like that available.

What I want to do is offer something that children can think about for a long time. Something that parents of younger children can show to them, maybe sit with them while they get started, but then be able to step back. Maybe they have to go on a bit of a hunt for materials or inspiration. I envision younger children working on their own for a while before calling for some help in getting pictures online for us all to see (Sabot uses google albums). Older children could get the emails themselves and spend time inventing and making on their own. In the end I hope for a bit of wondering and noticing in discussion with whoever takes part.

What I wish would happen? This! Here is a response from an invitation to think about spring:


Ezra says "I made a Potion of Secrets with spring and also winter ingredients I found. First, I gathered up the holly berries. Second I gathered up those purple flowers. Third I gathered that fungus.

I asked 'A potion of secrets is so mysterious! I wonder a lot about it, like, what does it do? Can anyone use it?

"Yeah, they can use it but it's very rare that they do. It's because it's too powerful for most people. And well you asked what it does. It tells you all of the secrets of the world. Its whispering now but too quiet for anyone to hear. How they hear it is that when they drink the potion only to them it sounds louder. Much, much louder. Louder than a lion's roar."



 

 

A few other thoughts
How will reflective teacher-researchers eventually document this time? Will it be about technology or will it be about children's theories and growing understandings? 

It's hard to hear children's theories mediated through all of the layers that it takes to communicate with them by computer.

There are a ton of photos of children in front of screens on instagram right now.

There are a ton of schools offering webinars and workshops for teachers to help us all master online teaching.

I'm really missing holding a child's drawing, having a dialog with them about it.



Comments