Exploring new materials in a new (to me) way. Then, music!

"First I will make a plan."
He chose a green piece of paper and a blue marker- his favorite color and Mommy's favorite.
He drew a series of shapes. "Now I will build it"

The idea of building this plan made me think twice. I might have assumed these shapes were letters, except for the statement "now I will build it." Inspired by this article bankstreet.edu/seeing-meaning, I tried carefully not to identify any of the shapes as letters, or anything else that would fit only into my schema, but not his.
I said 'I know how you can make that shape. Wire can bend just like what you drew. See?"
Next we made a wire shape together- it had two bumps. 












After bending this shape together, he could do it himself!
Later, a small group came back to try drawing and wire. They all drew shapes and bent wire to go along with them. This was the first time I saw children who are three use wire this way, by using it in correspondence with drawing, without a lot of prompting from a teacher.



After a while, the children began to play with the wire in all sorts of ways.
Then this happened!

video

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The difference between centers and provocations

Magical Thinking and Alternative Facts

Umbrella Project 2017